Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A new resident starts a blog....

Well, I am not really sure why I am doing this. Blogging seems like it should be done by someone with something profound to say. I don't think of myself as profound, but here goes something.....

First off, I suppose you should know a little about me. I moved to Charleston just under a year ago to begin the service division of M.C. Dean, Inc. M.C. Dean, Inc. is the 3rd largest electrical contractor in the USA.
It is a family business that is able to blend the family business mind set into a large company. Great leadership is the key. And great leadership is the key in all sucessful businesses. You could have the latest gadget on the market but without sound leadership you will be like a one hit wonder singing star.

I myself have been in the electrical trade for over 30 years. Spent 3 years running my own business in a bad economy for those of you that remember the early 90's, and now I run my part of M.C. Dean. I say that because we all run our own part of the company we work for really. We are responcible for our own sucess, and short comings.

Growing up in the Washington, D.C. area I benifited from the government supporting the  area and always having a job to go to and be able to earn a living. Living here in South Carolina has shown me that everything I believed about being lucky growing up as I did was correct.
Many people here I have met are struggling to find a job. It is cut throat in the market place today, when it comes to earning a living. I earn my living fixing electrical proplems. Adding, reapairing, changing, whatever is needed we can handle it.

But I believe in the end we all would perfer quality over a bargain deal. However, the bargain deal is normally what we take. 
In the service field it the same as anything else, time and time again the customer is offered a great price and the quality they expect is just not given. That fact has provided me a living for over 30 years.

See, I was the service guy that was sent in to fix someone's "good enough repair". I hate doing something twice. Walking past someone wondering are thinking why didn't you do it right the first time, is an uncomfortable feeling. I don't believe in good enough. I expect the same from the people I work with as well. If you went out to a resturant and ordered a steak and it was only cooked on one side would it be good enough for you not to say something? That's the way every job should be approched.

Another reason M.C. Dean, Inc. is still around after 60 years. Doing the job right the first time.

Being here in Charleston I have met some very taleneted people and I have seen some outstanding work. However, I have seen the "what were they thinking" work as well. I suppose what it boils down to is I do not want you to give me a "job", I want you as a "Customer". I know I have to earn that privledge.

Now when I started this rambling I did not intend it to be a commercial for M.C. Dean, and if it comes off that way it was not meant to be. Guess what I want to get across is we get what we pay for, so why do we settle for "good enough" when it comes to minding our business?

As I stated, we are all running our own business in our work lives, we expect a certain level personally, shouldn't we expect the same professionally?

My intention is to post things here weekly. I will shoot for Friday's, so hopefully you will find something I say worth the time it takes to read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment