Friday, November 4, 2011

“The Strongest Person I Have Ever Know is 3 Years Old”

My blog is a little more personal this week than most, but if you will indulge me, it may bring a tear to your eyes.
Like most people I have seen things on television or on the internet of amazing feats of human strength.
It was not long ago that there was a video on the internet of a group of people that lifted a burning car off of a young man that had gotten pinned under the car after a collision between himself on his motorcycle and the car. Thankfully he survived, and it was amazing to watch the by-standers that stopped their cars and come together and lift the car off this young man.
We have heard stories for years about people exhibiting super human strength in situations that save the life of someone.
But have you ever know someone that was so strong mentally that their ability to deal with a difficult situation was breath taking? When you are faced with a difficult situation in your life or at work that this person is your inspiration to overcome whatever you are facing?
I am fortunate to not have one but 3 people in my life that are an inspiration to me to realize that anything I face in life is a temporary bump in the road not the mountain I would have considered it in the past.
The first two are my Niece and her husband, my Nephew. The reason is they face situations and what would knock most anyone else on their butts, through the grace of God they face it and deal with it taking it in stride.
The third person is their youngest daughter, Ally.  Ally is 3 years old, or will be in a few days. At the tender age of 6 months old Ally had surgery to remove a brain tumor. They were unable to get it all and it has left her legally blind and has a disorder called Diabetes Insipidus.
Despite all of this in her short 3 years she is the happiest person I know. My heart melted a couple weeks ago when I walked into their home and upon hearing my voice she knew who I was and asked me to “Sit on floor, Uncle D” so I could play with her.  I do not see her often enough as they live 3 hours from me, but my voice is one she knew. She melted it again when she said, “Uncle D, Loves Me?” I know I do not have to tell you what my reply was to her.
It is humbling to look on a little child such as Ally and realize I have no reason to complain about any ache or pain I have.
When I am facing a tough situation at work or in my personal life and I catch myself complaining I stop and think, is it really as bad as I am making it out to be? Or can I be as strong as a 3 year old here and deal with it?
I invite you to read her amazing story at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/allymichellewilson.
If you’re as lucky as I am and get the blessing of hearing Ally laugh you will understand why even as touching this story is I will include my weekly strange law. I am sure I can hear her laughing, just not sure if she is laughing with me or at me. Either way I am good with it, Uncle D loves you Ally.
In South Dakota, No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants. Great, can you find a Horse Tailor in the phone book for me?

2 comments:

  1. Ok, you are right. The tears do come. Like you I live 3 hours from my 2 youngest nephews (age 3 and 6). When the 6 year old was 3 he was diagnosed with a cancer that would end up taking his liver (which by the grace of God grows back), a node in the lung. The chemicals also made him deaf. He was given a 20% chance to survive with stage 3.

    By the grace of God he will be with us for many more years. He loves to help with fundraisers for cancer and Hometown Heroes and regularly will show off his scars. Today he is a normal 6 year old boy. He loves coming to the beach and going fishing. And we have many a Star Wars light saber fight. And yes, he even drive me nuts sometime.

    But when things seem there worst, I just need to think of him and his mom and dad and his little brother. And thank God above for HIS grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very touching, Dave. Glad I found this, I will be going through your old posts soon!

    ReplyDelete